Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Talking about my first book and second book.

Extinction Chronicles is my first book. It is a collection of six short stories. The first four are designed for independent reading but connect and form one larger story called Hazel, like the eye color. Extinction Chronicles is horror that kind of goes back to its early creature feature roots.

The prose can come across a bit purplish and flowery sometimes but I kind of prefer that style. It allows me to have some fun with description. The writing in Extinction Chronicles is thesaurus heavy at times. I wrote the stories in a very skeletal form and decided to throw in unusual words to create a melody of sorts within the paragraphs. I often think Extinction Chronicles has some great paragraphs that just scream to be read aloud.

The Teuqila Diaries:Organ Donor is a sharp contrast to my first work. The cover is black opposed to the white cover of Extinction Chronicles. I didn't offer any of my artwork to Organ Donor but opted for images courtesy of thinkstock. The prose is a bit less purply although there are one or two paragraphs where I go off on a tangent. Organ Donor is a concise story topping off at about 12,000 words. It's dark and very depressing in a way. Then again the tone fits the title.

One thing I struggle with in my writing is putting in an ending that could be classified as happy. In my first two books the endings are very harsh and bitter. Something just bugs me about happy endings. They bore me as a matter of fact.

No comments:

Post a Comment