Thursday, November 17, 2011

Thoughts on the .99-cent Ebook

Ah yes, the .99-cent Ereader. I’ve done some research on this topic. I haven’t necessarily dug deep but just cracked the surface of the phenomenon. Unfortunately, I’m a little late to the party, as the .99-cent ebooks have flooded the market. I guess writers tend to throw their books out there at 1.99 or 2.99 to avoid the .99-cent tag. However, I want to take a stab at the .99-cent market.
My first book I tossed out there at $9.99 for the Ebook and now I see that mistake. So now, I’m going to release that .99-cent ebook. I hope my endeavor stands out amongst the sea of titles in the simple fact that my work has gone through the editing process. Line edited at least, as that’s what fits in my budget for now.

I’ve read that so many of the .99-cent debacles are unedited and poorly written but writers have been able to make money tossing the stories out there. I’m not banking on making a million dollars but I have a goal set and if I don’t reach it then I’ll chalk it up as a total failure. Hopefully, the story will stick as I feel it is extremely original. Sometimes, these days being original doesn’t equate to making money. Now that is a topic for another blog post altogether.
I keep hearing that the .99-cent ebook has hurt traditional publishing. Sometimes I think that I in a way that may be true but people still like to read paperbacks and hardcover books. I look at the .99-cent ebook as a way for new writers to break into the industry. Anything that supports that kind of creativity and a possible means for an income in an uncertain economy is okay in my book. Usually, in a situation like this people who end up losing money from a new technology or product are the one’s that complain ala the record companies at the beginning of the digital revolution.

Well, the digital revolution is here for books as well. I feel it’s the companies and business models that will learn to adapt to the new technology are the ones going to be successful. Just look at the Borders vs. Barnes and Noble scenario. I believe Barnes and Noble jumped on the Ereader bandwagon with the Nook compared to Borders failed embrace of the digital model.
Anyway, Ebooks are here to stay and the .99-cent story isn’t going anywhere anytime soon. Prices may eek up over time every so slightly but they will still be around. Maybe forcing out print books altogether, just like the 8 track, to tape, to CD, now to digital…

No comments:

Post a Comment